- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Tidbits...Caprese is an antique flourless Neopolitan torte from the island of Capri. There are many stories about the origin but most agree it was born from a mistake when the flour was left out of the recipe by mistake. It is moist and delicious and is better after 2 or 3 days (...if it lasts that long)
- Preheat oven to 350˚
- Melt chocolate with butter and let cool. Stir in cocoa.
- Toast almonds in oven for a few minutes. Grind to make almond flour with a few small pieces.
- Separate eggs and beat yolks with sugar until pale and thick.
- Stir chocolate butter mixture then almonds into yolks.
- With clean beaters whip whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold into mixture.
- Pour into 9" springform pan. (Use parchment on bottom and lightly spray sides.)
- Bake 45 minutes then remove from oven and let cool in pan.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar , cocoa and almonds overtop.